How to qualify for the 2012 J/24 Worlds – Be a part of History!
July 30, 2011
The 2012 J/24 World Championship will be the first “Open Worlds” since 1978 and you can be a part of a historic J/24 Class event! If you’ve ever wanted to sail in a J/24 Class World Championship, this is your chance! This is a one-time Open Worlds only.
Yes, the regatta is “open” but you still need to meet a few minimum criteria.
Here’s what you need to do:
1. Be a fully paid member of the J/24 Class in 2011. Obviously, you will also need to be a paid class member in 2012 as well.
2. Compete in at least one J/24 Class sanctioned district, regional, national or continental level event in the calendar year 2011. For ALL IJCA members the same rules apply.
Please note that the requirement is to compete in a district or higher “level” regatta. This does not necessarily mean a district championship event.
In fact the USA-JCA has clarified for its members that if a District Championship is comprised of a series of regattas, an entrant in the 2012 World Championship need only compete in one regatta in the series in order to qualify.
It is highly recommended that you continue to compete in as many J/24 Regattas as you possibly can. There is no better way to raise your “game” than by competing with as many other J/24s as possible. It teaches you immediately if you are “off the pace” or not; It teaches you how to manage large fleets: It solidifies your knowledge of the Rules of Racing; most importantly, you support this Class and continue to maintain the value of your own boat.
- NOR will be posted in September, 2011
- Check the regatta website frequently for updates and charter boat information: http://myyc.org/site/2012umgj24worlds/
- Contact Regatta Chairpersons -Kris Werner or Lambert Lai for assistance and sponsorship opportunities
- If you are not thinking of competing yourself – then consider chartering your boat.